Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Aerial Video

While I've dabbed in aerial video a tad for fun and personal short film making, this was my first time to do it professionally.


Here's the set up. That's a Canon XL2 (video camera) attached to a gyro, which is plugged into to a battery pack. Still handheld, and it's really heavy. Inside the gyro (which is mounted to the bottom of the camera) something spins at an enormous speed. This spinning causes stability and smooth motion on the pitch and yaw axis. If you wanted stability on the roll axis, you could simply mount another gyro below and perpendicular to the first gryo. (sorry if that's confusing, I really tried to explain it simply, and it's a very simple device).



I flew with Epic helicopters. The pilot shown is Brian, but I actually flew with Kevin. and we even flew in a differnt helicopter all together. See that spiffy shirt he's wearing tho. I got one of those now!


-Jonny Carroll
Photographer

jdonut photography, LLC
Denton Wedding Photography
We Make Virtual Tours
Denton Wedding Photography
UNT Photography

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woah. Crazy! Do we get to see the videos?

Unknown said...

well, it's pretty boring stuff actually. pipeline work. But yeah, when and if I get some good video, I'll make sure to post.

Brad Holt said...

That looks like fun! Can we do a FUN video now? A music video...or possibly a HAUNTING? That would be magical!!